Wednesday, January 31, 2018

COP 3 - Logo

I have started from creating an illustration of the bee which could be used anywhere in my designs like a mascot. I have drawn a simple illustration of the bee and then edited it digitally. I wanted to make the illustration simple, easy to recognize and be suitable for a different age group. The black bold outlines made the illustration look eye-catching.


From taking on board the initial ideas, the rules I need to apply from what I've discovered in the dissertation and from the inspiration began the design of the logo. I started by incorporating colours, and shapes into the design of the logo as this is a vital way of catching the attention of the consumer. From the primary research, I have discovered the successful honey brands primarily use colours such as yellow, orange, black and white. 


Initial feedback received for this design was to experiment with typography as the first three designs are having too many details however they agreed this typeface is perfect for the look I intent to give.

Their suggestion was to try to use word 'hello' instead of 'hey' as it makes the text quite distracting having two letters 'y' next to each other also it will be hard to place them together without having a big gap between them. 

Their last suggestion was to create a poster advert or other collateral to go with this new product however the aim of my dissertation was about packaging design and its effect on consumer choice when purchasing a product. Therefore by designing extra collateral does not reflect the argument. 

After the received feedback I've made changes to the logo. The feedback was very beneficial as changing 'hey' to 'hello' made the design interesting without distracting anyone and making it consistent. I preferred to use word hey as its less official but placing word hello looks better visually and creates cohesion and pleasing design. I have done two versions of it, the second one contains a flying bee in a shape of a heart which makes the design more attractive and using my initial idea of typography in the logo. 

Received feedback was very positive, that my logo can be used everywhere in different colours and shapes behind it. The only suggestion was about the bee and wings in the shape of the hearth, that the bee's body is too small compared to wings. 

My next step was to experiment with the logo. As my box will use gold, white and black colours I've decided to use white text on the gold background as it is giving the design a friendly look. I wanted to make the logo look like a real honey, very natural and friendly which will suit my theme, so I've created an illustration of a leaking honey. I feel this design is appealing and shows exactly what my initial idea was. On the final design, I have enlarged the shape of bee's body as suggested in the feedback. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment